Sunday, September 12, 2010

Jérôme Mireault and Jeremyville

Jérôme Mireault
I chose Mireault as the artist that appealed to me most. His (I'm assuming it's a male) color pallet is what made me stop and look. I love his use of muted colors. I'm a firm believer that you don't have to use bright colors to get someone's attention, and Mireault caught my attention with his muted colors. I also really appreciate his stylized characters. I don't necessarily need an illustration to look realistic to catch my attention, but I do like if the characters seem to have proportions that are fairly realistic, and that's what Mireault does. I also think the fashion aspect to his illustrations is interesting. I actually never thought about fashion illustration before, so I discovered something new when I looked at his art. I also like the little blurb they included about him; I appreciated what he said towards the end, "My many everyday influences are all recognizable in each piece I do, that's what makes the way I draw so unique to my eyes." I know that each artist has to go through some sort of struggle to find their "style", and I feel like that quote could help a young artist take a step back and let their life influence their art even more so then it already did.

Jeremyville
The second artist I chose, the artist whose work I disliked, was Jeremyville. I was really turned off by the cluttered appearance of his work and the amount of characters he included in his work. I really don't like his "Don't Panic! Let Love In..." piece. It was the one that was the most cluttered, had the most text in it, and had the most characters. I don't like his style of drawing, either. It is stylized, I give him that, but they all seem poorly drawn. I'm really not a fan of including massive amounts of text in illustrations unless it is necessary, and I feel like the amount of text in "Don't Panic! Let Love In..." is overwhelming. Jeremyville's illustrations he did for the snowboards are a little bit more appealing than his other work, but I feel like his style was meant more for objects. The claustrophobic graffiti-like text and characters feel like something you would see on a skateboard, snowboard, or wall. I saw that some of his clients were Italy's MTV and Converse, so my theory about his artwork being good for sportswear and graffiti seems correct. I'm just a little disappointed that he got a larger spread in this text book than Mireault.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like Jérôme Mireault's work too ;) Oh and he is a guy so your assumption was correct.